My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Tuesday 30 May 2017

NDW Day 2: Dorking - Godstone

Note: I am sorry but owing to problems with my new shiny new phone, I was not able to publish this blog whilst walking. Instead I made notes, and now that I am home I will issue the updates over the course of the next few days. I have also extended and updated day 1 and added photos.

Today was a long, hot day. I was up early and started walking soon after 6am. The countryside is lovely at that time of day, fresh and unspoilt.  Lots of birds, rabbits, squirrels etc. Twice I caught sight of deer. Look at this:

Early morning on the Downs above Dorking..





I crossed the pleasant open area of Ranmore Common and then the path went through Denbies Wine Estate, Britain's biggest vineyard I believe.

a corner of Denbies Wine Estate



Immediately after the route crosses the river Mole, via stepping stones, and then goes up Box Hill, which is quite steep..

stepping stones across the river Mole


Climbing up Box Hill. Lots of these...

.. but the view from the top is spectacular. Dorking right of centre


By noon, I had already done more than 13 miles. The afternoon was not so good as I started to wilt rather, in the heat. Also the landscape changed and the dreaded motorways - M23, M25 - began to intrude. I stopped for a mediocre lunch in a dusty little town called Merstham, right next to the motorway and then ploughed steadily on to Godstone where I was picked up by daughter Charlie and my two lovely grandchildren and whisked back to their house in Crawley Down for a night of pampered luxury (fish & chips from the van in the village and a glass of rose, excellent)..
strange gravestone in the woods for a horse called "quick," though presumably dead


































A lime kiln, near Box Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment