My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Sunday 9 July 2017

Snowdon Day 3

Trawsfynidd - nr Beddgelert, 21.0 miles

Woke up about 6am, to find that apparently midges never sleep. It had been raining overnight, but I was able to mop up and pack the tent in the dry. 

I set off about 7.30 am and walked up the road beside the big reservoir. The footbridge still clearly visible - Derek the friendly campsite owner told me the footbridge was built when the reservoir was, to appease the villagers. The chapel was dismantled and moved to near the other end of the bridge, from a location subsequently flooded. 

It was very cloudy and overcast.  After a few minutes it began to rain, and it carried on raining for most of the day, on and off. I put put on my full waterproof gear and ploughed steadily on through woods and along the shore of another reservoir, llyn Tecwyn Uchaf. Soon there were glimpses of the sea in the distance and the path dropped down towards Penrhyndeudraeth ("Penrhyn"). It lies on the estuary of the Afon Dwyryd and is nearly though not quite a seaside town. It is also a bit of a dump, sadly.  Or to be a bit more charitable, it has fallen on hard times. Lots of empty shops and a rather seedy appearance.  I walked into town, found a pub and walked in, only to be told it was shut until 4pm. I asked about other pubs and were told there are two - both shut, permanently. So I ended up in the "Busy Bees Caffi." It was ok, in a slightly twee way, and the lady behind the counter was dour, but the boef bourgignon and chips was fine. 

When I transferred the route from the guidebook onto my digital maps, a couple of weeks beforehand, it all looked a little bland and unexciting (and it has been, really) so I fiddled with the route a little to include some higher ground. Thus I set off from Penrhin heading not on the official route to Beddgelert but to Rhyd, Croesor and then over the moors to the Glaslyn valley, South of Snowdon. After two days of tramping along roads and gravel paths, it was good to get up into the heather and peat bogs and I had a fine time, although it made for a longish day. I reached the National Trust campsite at Hafod-y-llan about 7pm, tired and wet through but happy to have seen some of the proper Snowdonia. 

It's a pleasant, scenic site, but no food or drink to be had.  and no mobile signal, so could not phone home or check the weather forecast. And the midges are out in force again..
Not many photos taken today, because of the rain. 

llyn Trawsfynidd

heading down towards Penrhyndeudraeth 
A pointy bit. This one is called Cnicht, and I go up it on the return route.

coming down into the Glaslyn valley. That is Snowdon dead ahead, though I never got to see the summit, seemingly in a cloud permanently

No comments:

Post a Comment