My Pyrenees HRP Diary - Introduction

This blog was begun in 2015, to record my walk along the Pyrenees HRP from Hendaye to Banyuls. If you want to read about that, I suggest you start here.

But that is all in the past now, and I have expanded the blog a little to cover more recent events.. such as:

Snowdonia Way 2017
Hebden Bridge 2015
Equipment Reviews
North Downs Way 2017
Pennine Way 2019

I hope you will find something interesting. Please do provide a little feedback or comment, and if you are interested in something that I didn't say enough about, please let me know .. happy walking!



Jerry

Saturday 15 July 2017

Snowdon Day 7

Conwy - Bethesda, 19.7 miles

Set off at 9am .. a bit late for mountaineering but at least the weather was dry, cloudy but did not seem to threaten rain. 

The first part of the walk is similar to the inward route, and it seemed to take ages to get up to the Carneddau hills, but I got there in the end.. and there were Views! You could see the whole of Snowdonia, the whole of Wales, it seemed. I was a happy bunny. 

Eventually I wound my way down to Bethesda, intending to book into the same bunkhouse I used before.. and was amazed to be told it was fully booked! only two days before, I had been the sole inhabitant. So I had to go in search of somewhere to put up the tent for the night. I phoned a b&b with the ever so slightly creepy name of "Joy of Life," and they could not have been nicer. They said they were fully booked but had fields and a barn where I could pitch my tent. And then Iain drove into Bethesda and picked me up.. and they would not take any money. They have quite the facilities there.. caravans, cabins, cottages, b&b.. you can Google it. They are looking to sell but can't find a buyer. 

Heading up from Conwy towards the Carneddau

A last look back at Conwy from the same spot

Getting closer.. tricky navigation across these boggy uplands, with no clear path

Memorial to a crashed aircraft, a Liberator that was wrecked with all six crew in January 1944

Carnedd Gwenllian (926m) to the right, Foel-fras (942m) on the left.

Summit of Foel-Fras. Difficult to scramble over all these rocks!

Summit of Carnedd Gwenllian

Looking from Gwenllian along towards Carnedd Llewelyn and Carnedd Dafydd. I dearly wanted to walk over them but had not time to go and come back


Coming down towards Bethesda, the Glyder range and that appalling slate quarry detritis behind


No comments:

Post a Comment